Monday, March 16, 2009

Charleston

After we arrived home from Utah, I had one day to unpack and do laundry and one day to re-pack and clean the house, then Ken and I dropped Abe off with my sister Tami and headed for a little getaway. I'd been saving some money I'd earned from babysitting and surveys and surprised Ken with this trip as his Valentine's Day present. We stayed in Edisto Beach, but spent Friday the 13th in Charleston, SC. There are a lot of pictures, (I know, I know, I'm pregnant in ALL of these pictures ... please ignore that fact) so I'm going to do some slide shows, then you can watch if you want to.

Our first stop was Patriot's Point. You can tour an aircraft carrier, the USS Yorktown, and also a submarine there. We really enjoyed walking through the ships and learning more about the history of our country.



While in the submarine we ran into a tour guide who'd served on several submarines throughout the war. It was so interesting to hear him talk about his actual experiences. He once served 76 straight days on a submarine and lost 26 lbs because they ran out of food. He talked about how they didn't shower and would only wash out of a basin because they filled the shower to the top with potatoes. How they would fill every nook and cranny they could with food.



Our second stop was the South Carolina aquarium. I really like touring aquariums, so I was excited for this. It had some fun things, but I was actually pretty disappointed with it. We've been to Atlanta and Baltimore aquariums and they are hard to beat.





After the aquarium we walked around Charleston and the market areas. We ate a delicious dinner at Outback Steakhouse and then returned to downtown for our Ghost Tour! We thought it was most appropriate to end our Friday the 13th with a tour of the Old Haunted City Jail. It was such a cool old building and the tour was fun.



Our only supernatural experience was at the end of the tour. Apparantly there is a spirit that will often make contact with the tour groups. Our tour guide was attempting to get him to contact us and asked him to do several different things. He didn't do any of them. Finally she asked him to make a loud noise so his presence would be known. Immediately this big brass instrument fell off its shelf onto the floor. The tour guide was standing no where close.



We had a great time in Charleston and there were so many things that we didn't get to do! Maybe someday we can make a return trip.

7 comments:

Emily said...

good for you guys to get away just the two of you. Looks like you had a great time, and again, you are a darling pregnant mama!

Charlotte said...

That sounds like so much fun!! The old jail looked awesome (and a little creepy). Glad you had fun.

GordonTucker said...

I need to go somewhere this summer. Glad you had fun

Brenda said...

Sounds fun! They had ghost tours in St Augustine but we never went on one, we are losers I guess. Can't wait till my hubby and me go on a trip together. Liked the pictures!

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to go to Charleston. I even have a friend who lives there, but I never got up there.
Savannah is one of the most haunted places in the south. If you guys liked Charleston, you will love Savannah. There are creepy houses every where. It feels like people are looking at you but the house is empty.

Mom at Our House said...

You are such a good wife to plan a fun get away for you husband. It sounds like so much fun, especially the Ghost tour!

Abs said...

Good for you to get away before your next bundle of joy comes. I'm totally savinga for a big fat trip to Hawaii someday...

You really shouldn't apologize for your prego pictures. You look great!