Thursday, February 3, 2011

Deja vu

Remember this post? "Wherein my 2 year old locks himself in his room..." ?? Well, being the awesome parents we are, we made sure that Abraham would never be able to lock himself in his room again because I never wanted to go through that again. Fast forward to this past Sunday. Ken has to leave the house by 6:00 AM for his meetings, so the boys and I go it alone Sunday mornings. We typically chill out together for awhile in my bed, eating dry cold cereal or poptarts and watching an episode or 2 of Little Einsteins. This particular morning, I had already gotten out of the bed, but the boys were still in it... until they began to fight over covers and Tyler ran into his bedroom upset and slammed the door behind him (oh the things a 20 month old learns from his big brother). He wasn't crying in there, so I didn't really bother him for a few minutes. (Can you see where this story is heading???). The clock hit 7:00 and it was time for us to start getting ready for church. I went to open Tyler's door and yep, you guessed it...he'd locked himself in!! Seriously?!?!? I immediately went to find an old credit card to pop it open, but unfortuately I was not a maintenace man in college and couldn't get the door to open. This doorknob does have a little hole and I tried everything I could fit in there to try and pop that lock and NOTHING! Starting to panic slightly, I began to try to get a hold of Ken at the church. No one answered the church phones and so I began calling the cell phones of the Bishopric members, high priest group leader, anyone who I thought might be in the meeting with Ken (no, Ken still does not have a cell phone of his own). No luck. I admit, it had been a half an hour and I was crying at this point. I finally called a good friend of mine who lives five minutes down the road, hoping she'd pick up the phone early on a Sunday morning. Luckily she did and her awesome husband came to my rescue. Fruit snacks and Oreos shoved under the door kept Tyler happy and five minutes after Andrew arrived a credit card had popped his door open (I've GOT to learn that trick!!). Needless to say, it is a story I never want to repeat. I must also add that even though we got started getting ready for church 45 minutes late, we were still in our seats 10 minutes before the meeting started. Whew!

7 comments:

Emily said...

seriously, I hate most the deja vu moments I have as a parent.
Every once in a while, there is that good one, like with baby smiles, but most the time for me, I think, 'why didn't I learn that the first time?'
Glad everything turned out ok!

Tucker Mom said...

Did he even know he was locked in or was he mad the whole time. That is really too funny.

Brenda said...

Ha Ha Ha!!! I am laughing at you, not at Tyler. Glad you got him out safe and for goodness sakes get your hubby a cell phone!!

Charlotte said...

You need to go to a remedial lock picking class!

Katie C. said...

you should just do what Jeff and I did: flip the door handles around so the lock is on the outside. :o) They can't lock them in, and you have an option if they keep getting out of time-out early. Wow...I'm an awful mother, aren't I?

andrea said...

There have been sooooo many times I've thought to myself, "If only I were a maintenance man in college..."

Sandy said...

Ken could totally teach you how to pick the lock with a credit card. You'll be amazed what you can open once you get the hang of it...maybe your next FHE???