Sunday, July 10, 2011

Oh Where, Oh Where have my Tonsils Gone?

We've always struggled with Tyler's eating, sleeping, and talking...or should I say lack thereof? Almost 2 weeks ago he was finally diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea and scheduled to have his tonsils and adenoids out and new tubes placed. Here is the poor little guy pre-surgery. He has no clue what is about to happen!Coming out of anesthesia was the worst. He was so mad and kept trying desperately to pull out his IV. After an hour and two morphenine doses in his IV he finally fell asleep. That is an hour of my life I never want to re-live!

Getting settled in our room. He was so unhappy about being hooked up to all his cords and things. Giving him his medicine isn't easy. He doesn't like it or want it, but won't eat or drink without it. So, we have to physically hold him down and force it in him...every 4 hours. I feel terrible doing it, but look at that smile when he actually feels decent and has medicine in him!Tyler loved taking wagon rides. We'd bribe him to take his medicine by offering a wagon ride. It didn't work, we still had to force it in him. Don't mind my drool covered shirt, it even hurt to swallow so the poor kid drooled all over me!

There was a huge saltwater fish tank that we'd go visit. It had several fish from one his favorite shows, Finding Nemo inside. He loved it!
This picture was just too cute not to post.
Tyler really has struggled to eat or drink anything. We were thrilled when he decided to down some vanilla ice cream! We were happy to finally be approved to go home (they were worried he wasn't hydrated enough and made us stay several extra hours in the hospital to make sure).
Since he slept in a big boy bed at the hospital, we figured we might as well go with the momentum and make the big move to bunk beds at home. He's up several times at night because of his tonsils, so we might as well let him get used to a new bed at the same time rather than be up several times a night again in a few weeks because he isn't used to his bed.

We are now on Day 4 of recovery and I think we turned a corner last night. He woke up at 10:00 last night in a lot of pain, so we forced the meds down him (yes, he is still terrible at taking them). He woke up at 2:00 and 4:00, but went right back to sleep both times. At 6:45 he was up for the day. Ken had already gone to church, so I made a deal with Tyler. If he'd eat and drink we'd skip the morning meds. It worked! He drank a whole cup of milk and then some juice and ate a big bowl of icecream, so jell-o and a popsicle. It doesn't sound like much, but it is most he's done since surgery.

He's continued to eat and drink much better today and has played and acted more like his normal self. Hooray! Hopefully this will help him with his troubles and we can get the little guy on track. Thanks to everyone who has helped us and served us these last few days. It has meant so much. Especially my sister Tami, who has kept Abraham for us. We've felt so loved.


Tucker Mom said...

Glad he is finally doing better. How does Abe like being on the top bunk? They will now be ready for the new baby to come home.

Jessica Brown said...

I can't believe you survived all that pregnant. You're amazing!

Katie C. said...

You are the mom!! So sorry (for myself) that I missed your birthday. Can't wait to hear all about it at book club!