Monday, November 3, 2008

Costume Delay and Decency in the World

Alright, first let me clarify. I spent many, many hours on Abe's costume. Ken spent many, many hours on ours. They turned out awesome (if you are questioning that, ask Tami, she saw us!). Unfortunately, Abe hated his. Really hated his. He would only wear it if I was feeding him Tootsie Rolls or Cheetos. Thus, he only had it on for about 20 minutes. Also, I was in charge of our ward's Trunk or Treat, so I ran around all night like a crazy woman. Therefore, we as yet, do not have a picture of all of us in our costumes to post. We will get one, and we will post it, just give us some time....I have to pick up Tootsie Rolls on the after Halloween sales.
Secondly, I had an experience today I wanted to share. Abe and I drove down to the library this morning to pick up some books. Somehow he wrangled off not only his shoes, but his socks as well. I was about to check out and leave, so I just left them off. So, here is me, balancing and trying to check out my books (our library has self check out, so cool!) with one hand, and holding Abe, who really wanted down, in the other hand. I finally got done and I was trying to shove all the books in my bag, so we could leave. This man walks past us and I must say, upon first look, I was judgemental of him. He was wearing big oversized sweats and was eating his convience store Cheetos (yes, in the library! what a sin!) and just wasn't someone you'd want to meet in a dark alley. I proceeded to the door and he was waiting there, holding the door open. Very nice of him, so I said "thanks". He then proceeded to apologize to me, "I'm sorry ma'am, I wish I could carry your books to your car for you, but if I did I'd miss my bus that I have to catch. I hope you'll be okay by yourself." Now, how bad did I feel then for my earlier mis-judgement of him? What a polite young man. It is those kinds of experiences that keep my hope alive for this world, for the rising generation, for my kids.

9 comments:

Tucker Mom said...

Like the scripture says Judge not that ye be not judges or the one that says God doesn't look on our outward apperiance but upon the heart. Good experience.

andrea said...

Ok, I guess that's a good excuse to not have pictures.

What a good story, thanks for sharing!

Rachelle said...

okay okay but you better get that picture soon. Nice story about being judgmental too. I , too, have been learning some similar lessons recently.

Brenda said...

Hey I know for FHE tonight you can all dress up!!! Glad he was a nice man, makes me think I should be nicer to people. I can just picture your petite little body there struggling with you big ole baby! Nice image.

Rachel said...

What a good reminder. And I can't wait to see your costumes! I bet they are awesome!!! :)

Charlotte said...

Must ... have ... Halloween ... pictures ... That was a nnice story. Thanks for sharing. But seriously, GET PICTURES.

Anonymous said...

I want to see the pics. NOW!
So maybe he was just wanting to carry your books so he could steal them but he knew he wouldn't get away with them because he had to wait for the bus and you would catch him. He is ridding the bus because he got his license taken away when he got his 5th DUI in one month. Does that make you feel better about judging him?

Brenda said...

I dont think it is ever going to happen! I also dont think that guy would have been nice to you at all if he had known that you had gone on and on about how cool your costumes were, not told anyone what they were, and then didn't post pictures!

Jessica Tucker said...

That was a really nice story. It is cool to see that there are still decent people who care.